Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Incandescent garage bulb turns off immediately after being turned on

In article , h wrote:

"Gary H" wrote in message
om...
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 19:37:02 -0400, h wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

"Timur Tabi" wrote in message

I have a light fixture in my garage, and when I put a normal
incandescent light bulb in it, I cannot reliable turn the light on.

Is there anyone, anywhere still using incandescents? Try a cfl and let
us know if the problem is still happening.

Umm, your oven and freezer have lights? Weird.

Oven lights are not that uncommon. 40 watt appliance and "home oven"
incandescents are rated to go in those. There are even also 100 watt
"commercial oven" incandescents, maybe a few other wattages. My family
has even had a few ovens that use those. I have also seen at least one
illuminated electric convection oven, and the bulb there appears to me to
be subject to some of the heat.

I have not seen many illuminated freezers, but most refrigerators have
interior lights. Have you seen how much light is produced by a 35 or 40
degree F CFL that needs to be seen by before it warms up? And what is the
economy of more-energy-efficient bulbs with higher upfront cost and/or
starting-related wear if they are used only minutes per day?

CFLs also usually don't do well in motion sensor outdoor lights, due
mostly to short on-time.
--
- Don Klipstein )