Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Doorbell intercom systems? ? ?

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 9/6/2010 10:04 AM, Ray wrote:
I'd welcome hearing the experience of anyone who has recently installed
a doorbell/intercom system which utilizes the existing landline
telephone in the house.

I'm especially interested in the cost -- realizing, of course, that the
cost can vary if there are special considerations.

And also I wonder whether the intercom system provides a distinctive
ring -- say two short rings for the doorbell, as opposed to the
standard
long ring for a call.

IIRC, most of those will not work with standard POTS phones, short of
adding technology between the Ma Bell demarc and where the phones split
out. If your house has one of those baby PBX systems that works with
analog POTS lines, it may be an available option. 'Ringdown' extensions
(I think that is the term) are pretty common on business-class phone
systems, but most houses are not big enough to make it worth the bother.
In the old days, NuTone made a doorbell/intercom combination, but I
don't know if they are still in that business. Somebody out there
probably makes one, but then you are back to stringing and fishing wire,
unless you can hijack some pairs on the phone wiring without causing
problems.

http://www.smarthome.com/5070C/DoorB...DP-28IT/p.aspx

--
Bobby G.

Thanks Bobby -- That's very helpful. Now I only need to know how much
installation will cost.

-- Ray