Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

On Sep 5, 8:07*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:34*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article Mikepier wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just wondering
why they do this?

Why do they do what? Give accurate dimensions? The rough-in dimension is the
distance from the *centerline* of the opening to the wall. Since the opening
is 4" in diameter, hence 2" in radius, the distance from the *edge* of the
opening to the back of the tank is *supposed* to be a bit less than 10" for a
12" rough-in.

Good pick up. *I skipped over the part where he was measuring from the
flange bolts and not the centerline.

Errm...the flange bolts _are_ on the centerline. At least they asre
if those are the bolts used to fasten down the toilet.

Harry K