Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Incandescent garage bulb turns off immediately after being turnedon

HeyBub wrote the following:
Timur Tabi wrote:

I have a light fixture in my garage, and when I put a normal
incandescent light bulb in it, I cannot reliable turn the light on.
That is, when I flick the switch to "on", I can see the bulb turn on
for a fraction of a second and then turn off, and stay off. If I
repeat this process a few times, the light will eventually stay on for
a few seconds, but then turn off again.

The fixture does not have a light sensor in it, and it was working
reliably for years until recently. Can anyone give me a clue as to
what's going on?

You said "when I put _A_ normal incandescent..." Did you mean "when I put
_THE_ normal incandescent..."

What would have been better is "when I put _ANY_ incandescent..."

If you're trying the SAME bulb over and over, the problem is a broken
filament. When cold, the two broken ends touch allowing truth to the
statement "let there be light". Almost instantly the filament heats up and
the broken ends separate causing darkness to fall upon the land.

If, however, the symptom persists when DIFFERENT bulbs are tried, the answer
is equally simple: the circuit is cursed.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY