Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default OSB work deck treatment

On 9/6/2010 5:06 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/6/2010 12:08 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 9/5/2010 12:48 PM, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/5/2010 11:50 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'm moving my "wood shop" into a new covered space. The floor will be
OSB.

It seems to me that I have options on the treatment of the OSB floor. I
can stain/paint it or cover it with something else. Some laminates are
very cheap.

http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/s44108417.html

Suggestions?

Jeff

OSB floor? Is this a kit shed sitting on blocks or something? Will you
be able to keep the floor dry? (On both sides)

OSB is a lousy material for the wear layer on a floor. If this OSB is
above dirt, you don't want anything on top that will trap moisture in
there, like paint or anything. But being a wood shop, anything with hole
will of course clog up with sawdust.

To all, I haven't built this yet, so adjustments are possible.

This would be built like a deck on deck blocks with joists on 16"
centers, red clay underneath. The main tool I have is a RAS.

The deck will be 8' x 16' with about a 6' concrete slab on one side (14'
x 16' total).

Just for giggles, I'd price out the cost of extending the slab. May be
cheaper than you think, especially if you do the prep work and dig the
footers.

I have someone that wants to do it. I really want a level surface and
don't think he is up to leveling the slab, the existing slab isn't level
anyways.

Got access to a small mixer and it could just be mixed Jamaican style
on the existing walkway/slab.

Jeff