Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

On 9/5/2010 8:10 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 5, 4:39 am, wrote:
On 9/5/2010 2:15 AM, Molly Brown wrote:

On Sep 4, 10:10 pm, wrote:
On Sep 4, 11:31 pm, wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just wondering
why they do this?

To allow for varying wall thicknesses, for one reason, but mainly its
because a little short is a lot better than a little long.

Until someone leans back on it anyway.

??? Toilet tank is not supposed to touch the wall. If they can 'lean
back' and make the toilet move, either the floor and drain line assembly
are rotted out, or the tank was not secured to the bowl properly.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

The toilets that you’ve seen must have been used by angelic people.
With some of the people that I have had to deal with I had to custom
cut a piece of wood and screw it on the wall behind the tank to keep
them from breaking the tank or at least causing it to leak when those
gaskets become dry and brittle . Especially those new thin China ones.
I’ve never seen a wall become damaged by condensation from a tank
without all the bathroom walls being damaged first, but those
bathrooms didn’t have a vent fan in the first place. In older houses I
have seen it where you couldn’t stick a sheet of paper between the
toilet and the back wall, a tribute to those old world plumbers who
took the time to do it right.

Might I recommend 'vandal proof' (AKA prison) toilets? Sounds like some
of your customer base might be happier with facilities out back in a
small dedicated building.

Perhaps some of those old houses originally had the high-mount tanks
that were actually hung on the wall.

--
aem sends...