Posted to rec.woodworking
woodstuff[_2_] woodstuff[_2_] is offline

Default Pin Router Update

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

If Icut in one pass, it shears off the parts with an end-grain, so I

gotta do more and smaller passes.

Are you cutting finished parts that match the pattern on the edge and
not engraving in the face? If so, it is actually typical to cut the
part nearly to size\shape using a bandsaw or jigsaw or scroll saw and
then just sort of do a trim pass with the template.

**I tried cutting the rough shape out with a band saw (scroll saw is too
slow). I have a pileof workpieces with parts brokenoff at the sharp points,
all wasted (wish I could start again with this new setup so that I could cut
in increments). There is a sharp point in 4 places where there is a chance
of breaking off.

It may seem silly to cut it almost exact and then do the pattern to
finish it up but is (in my opinion) the most efficient way if you are
doing more than one of a part.

**I did a large number this way, but it takes alot of time to do the cutting
out. It's a real time-saver to just apply the pattern to the lumber and
start cutting; takes me a lot less time. As a footnote, I haven't yet
replaced my bandsaw, which I sold recently (the 36" Northfield).

I use the template to to draw on the blank with a sharpie and then I
use a bandsaw or jigsaw depending on the shape to trim it first. It is
easy to cut fast of you jest need to be near the line without crossing
it. If you leave just an 1/8" or less it cuts across end grain like
buttah. Of course I am using a 2 1/2" dia by 1 1/2" high rabbet cutter
on my shaper with a matching bearing over or under depending on the
template setup.

**At 1/8 inch or less, I still broke off a number of pointed pieces on my
workpiece while making the full cut in one pass. Also, the cutter needs to
be 1/2" and no larger to follow some places in my pattern. If I had a
larger radius to cut, I could do what you are doing with a shaper.

**I do value and appreciate your opinions. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

**I will try to get a picture tomorrow and put it on my flickr site. Will
post this tomorrow or later today.