Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29074 Ignoramus29074 is offline

Default Another pneumatic valve trouble

On 2010-09-05, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 12:39:11 -0500, Ignoramus29074
wrote:

When I just brought the mill home, the pneumatic motor driven
vari-speed adjustment worked well. Now it has become extremely
sluggish and seems to hiss and leak a lot of air when working,
especially badly when decreasing speed.

This is driven by this pneumatic valve:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

This seems to be a similar trouble to what I had with the brake
valve. Probably some rotted seal. Unlike that brake valve, this speed
valve has no markings. The procedure to fix it would seem to be to
take it apart and see what went wrong. Before I do so, I wanted to ask
for any suggestions etc about this, I would hate to fsck it up,
esp. since I am not sure what make/model it is.

If anyone knows who made it, , I woud be really grateful.

I dont have a clue as to model or maker..but I mentioned this
before..that you will be finding a few of these issues for the next year
or more as old seals start disintergrating under the normal working
conditions. Nothing to be concerned about, just be aware of.

Yep. Just to confirm your own statement:

The rubber air hose that supplies incoming air for the mill, is also
rotted, as I just learned. It is beyond redemption, and needs
replacement. It leaks air when put on a barb fitting, due to cracks in
the inner rubber layer.

No big deal.