Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

" In article Mikepier wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just wondering
why they do this?

Why do they do what? Give accurate dimensions? The rough-in dimension is
the
distance from the *centerline* of the opening to the wall. Since the
opening
is 4" in diameter, hence 2" in radius, the distance from the *edge* of the
opening to the back of the tank is *supposed* to be a bit less than 10"
for a
12" rough-in.

I am of the opinion without any proof that this RO measurement has evolved a
bit over the years. Most likely as a result of the smaller tanks using 1.6
gal.

35 years ago if you were installing a new flange we measured out from the
studs 12-1/2". Then about 20 years ago that was suddenly leaving way too
much room behind the tank.

So let's surmise that it is now a 12" RO from the studs, add 1/2" of
drywall, 5/8" of base and 1/2" of shoe base and you depending on what you
measured, where and how well you could easily be 10-10-1/2" from the shoe
base to the center of the flange.

The only way you will ever know for sure is buy it, open carefully and dry
fit the thing.

I just went in and measure my Mansfield. The measurement is 11-1/2" from
the shoe base to bolts. The Mansfield unlike many cheaper BORG units has a
tapered back so that it is closer to wall at the top than it is at the
bottom. Even with that I have an inch between the tank lid and the wall.
Most of the BORG units have a straight back on the tank. Over the years I
have routinely added a small scrap of 2x4 to the wall behind the tank to
prevent tenants from breaking something when the feel the need to recline on
the john.

I have a hunch that the $80 jonnie in box from Lowes will work just fine for
you though you may choose to upgrade the seat.

--
Colbyt