Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default How to clean out compressor tank

In ,
DanG typed:
I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. If you are
super worried, remove the automatic bleeder on the bottom
of the tank and install a ball valve or similar. Pressure
the tank until the regulator on the compressor is happy. Close off the
compressor. Open that bottom ball valve and
blow down. If you are worried about mold, mildew, unknown
bugs, etc., make up some bleach water - about 5 water to 1
bleach, empty the tank, pour in a gallon of the mixture,
shake vigorously (yes, I'm kidding), and pressurize and
blow down.
I can't imagine anything in the tank being unsafe. You
will be compressing your own "dirty air", I doubt that the
steel tank is holding much in the way of residual nasties.

"mshaffer" wrote in message
Hi, I just bought a large air tank on ebay to use with my
air compressor. The guy said I should wash it out though
before I use it.
I'm kinda worried about what kind of chemicals might be in
it since it
came from an industrialized area. Is there anything I can
use to totally clean it out? Should I just use normal dish
soap or is there
something better?

Here is the tank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks,
Michael

No, but it could hold a lot of loose rust from misuse; if so, an output
filter is recommended.