Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Weird Electrical Problem

"Jon" wrote in message
On 9/4/2010 1:35 PM, Colbyt wrote:
Thanks for the intelligent answer. Usenet will always have more than its
share of smart-asses and trolls. I didn't come here asking if I should
reach in there and feel around and see what happens and I didn't claim to
have any electrical knowledge. I thought someone who did have the
knowledge might be familiar with the symptom. I found out the problem is
a fried lead (or whatever the proper term is) where one side of a 50-amp
breaker makes the connection. That is why one side was still working.
The only way to fix it is to replace the entire service panel.

Depending on the brand of panel it may well be possible to replace just the
bus portion, the fried part of the existing one.

This is not a DIY project for most people and you may have a hard time
finding an electrician who is will to do the repair. They all like to sell
new parts.

Colbyt