Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Dryer -- Too much LINT getting through to vent

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 12:42:43 -0700 (PDT), tim birr
wrote:

A typical Whirlpool electric clothes dryer. The long skinny lint
screen pulls out from the top of the dryer -- a Type I dryer as my two
household repair books call it.

Awhile back the lint screen tore along the edge that attaches to the
screen frame. On the advice of my appliance parts house, rather than
pay $47 for a new screen, I mended it with some RTV High Temp Silcone.

But even since then, it seems as if LOTS of lint is making it's way
past the screen and into the vent duct.

Of course, the obvious answer might be my repair did not work. But
the screen is tight. So, I can see no way that extra lint could be
getting past. But, it obviously must be.

So, I will probably go ahead and buy a new screen, but before I do,
are there any other possible ways for this to happen -- ie -- is there
some way for the lint to bypass the screen and enter the vent duct
that I should investigate?

Any thoughts,
Tim

If the screen frame is deformed and not seating correctly, my guess
would be that lint is getting past the frame edge.