Posted to alt.home.repair
anthony anthony is offline

Default Finding stud on a masonry wall

I bought this Stanley stud finder and trying to locate a stud on an
old masonry wall. I did as the instructions said ....slide slowly in
a horizontal position with the activation button depressed. I did it
on a 8 foot wall and the red light with the sound kept going the
entire length of that wall. I did it vertically also...same results.
Which brings to mind that it probably has a metal grid installation as
they did in the old days. So how can I know if there is a stud behind
such walls with this tool. It seems to work fine on some newer walls
that have dry walls..but my problem is the masonry wall. Also, that
grid might be nailed to thin laths, which is not a stud.