Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Exterior House Painting: Do You Need a Primer?

Jon Danniken wrote:

Tony Sivori wrote:
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

Do you need a primer when putting white latex house paint over white
latex house paint?

Behr and other brands have all in one primer and finish coat. You'll
pay more per gallon, but the convenience might be worth it.

There is no substitute for putting on two coats of paint, one primer,
and one paint.

You're mistaken. There is in fact a substitute for separate coats of
primer and finish, it is the product that I mentioned.

I have used the Behr product. I had 20 feet of soffit to replace. I used
one heavy coat on bare plywood. It looked fair, about what you might
expect with two coats. It is now weathered for almost 3 1/2 years, and
there is no peeling.

--
Tony Sivori