Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

On 9/5/2010 12:50 PM, George wrote:
On 9/5/2010 7:39 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 2:15 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 4, 10:10 pm, wrote:
On Sep 4, 11:31 pm, wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just wondering
why they do this?

To allow for varying wall thicknesses, for one reason, but mainly its
because a little short is a lot better than a little long.

Until someone leans back on it anyway.

??? Toilet tank is not supposed to touch the wall. If they can 'lean
back' and make the toilet move, either the floor and drain line assembly
are rotted out, or the tank was not secured to the bowl properly.

Every tank I have ever seen has resilient mounts and will move relative
to the base if someone leans against it.

Okay, they can move a little. Emphasis on 'little', like enough to avoid
fracturing china around the bolt holes when you bump it or flush it. But
it still isn't a frigging lazyboy recliner. I've never seen a properly
installed modern toilet where the tank or lid touched the wall in normal
usage. You want air flowing back there, to keep the wall condensation-free.

Not to mention, leaning back is NOT the recommended 'fecal position'
posture for the process. The geometry is all wrong. Rodin had it right
with his 'The Thinker' statue. Anybody still sell those joke
paperweights with that sculpture sitting on the john? Always wanted one
of those.

--
aem sends...