Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Mill quill downfeed issue

Wayne wrote on 9/5/2010 :
I've got a Webb clone of a Bridgeport.
Never really use the quill downfeed, but tried it again today.
It fed too fast for what I'm doing, so I disengaged it.
Now the handwheel for the downfeed turns very roughly, even when
disengaged (Arm(??) used to pull quill down).
I can turn the handwheel, move the lever to engage the quill
downfeed, feel when the gears start meshing and the handwheel
stops turning. So I think the gears are fully disengaged when
I have the quill downfeed in the disengaged position.

Anybody have an idea of what I should look for to fix this?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

It always helps to ask the question, and then you end up figuring it
out afterward. I didn't know there was a neutral position for the
knob which moves the quill feed up or down.

Wayne D.