Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default OSB work deck treatment

On Sep 5, 8:50*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I'm moving my "wood shop" into a new covered space. The floor will be
OSB.

* *It seems to me that I have options on the treatment of the OSB floor.
I can stain/paint it or cover it with something else. Some laminates are
very cheap.

http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/s44108417.html

* *Suggestions?

* *Jeff

OSB alone (either painted or stained) isn't a great wear surface for a
floor.

How hardcore is your wood shop? Small / medium sized machinery or
some wood working monsters?

Per APA (American Plywood Association ) plywood & OSB (apples to
apples products) are meant to perform equally.
Years ago I wasn't a huge OSB fan but the stuff has performed very
well in all applications I've used it in.
It doesn't have the real world water resistance that plywood has but
interior wood isn't supposed to get flooded.

What is spacing on your floor joists? Don't skimp on the OSB
thickness.

To address your original question, I would suggest covering the OSB
with the cheapest thickest solid hardwood you can find via Lumber
Liquidators or Craigslist.
A rough sand & a sealer / strain and you've got a durable working
floor.

May not be the prettiest solution but it will definitely do the the
job.

cheers
Bob