Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

Sorry, Steve, just not so. Commercial toilets don't even have
tanks. No toilets depend on the tank leaning against the wall.
The floor/wall connection needs to be solid on its own. The
rubber or wax gasket is for a water and gas tight seal, not for
supporting or holding the toilet. Vitreous in contact with the
floor or shimmed while being held down by bolts that are well
anchored into the floor or attached to the floor flange if it is
rigidly mounted.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 9/5/2010 6:39 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 2:15 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 4, 10:10 pm, wrote:
On Sep 4, 11:31 pm, wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to
replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is
10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes
only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on
display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured
about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just
wondering
why they do this?

To allow for varying wall thicknesses, for one reason, but
mainly its
because a little short is a lot better than a little long.

Until someone leans back on it anyway.

??? Toilet tank is not supposed to touch the wall. If they can
'lean
back' and make the toilet move, either the floor and drain line
assembly
are rotted out, or the tank was not secured to the bowl
properly.

the tanks are mounted on rubber bushing and a big rubber gasket.
They do move when leaned on. And thus so, should be positioned
so the lid touches the wall. I'd break mine right off if it
didn't.

--
Steve Barker