Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default 2D Florescent - 2pin/4pin.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:07:31 +0100, ian field wrote:

I have a 4 pin 2D light in the bathroom that flickers for a steadily
increasing length of time before starting and shimmers badly when it
does eventually start.

The local electrical retailer only has 2pin types, which I assume has a
built in starter.

My question is - can I use a 2pin tube in a 4pin fitting, but not the
other way round?

Thanks.

If it's not sealed just repair the ballast. Common failures are the
capacitors being underrated.

I'm seriously tempted to graft in the PCB from a CFL, but I only have 18W
CFLs and the 2D is 28W.

Past experiments have shown that a CFL PCB can bring new life to a tube that
was considered "worn out" in an iron ballast fitting.