Posted to uk.d-i-y
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cordless Makita smoking

On Sep 4, 6:32*pm, Bob wrote:
I used my Makita cordless drill for the first time in a while recently
and it started smoking from the vents in the housing. *I have noticed
it do this briefly when I have just started to use it on one or two
occasions before but it has settled down and I assumed that it was
some dust being burnt off or something. *This time was different in
that I had already drilled a couple of holes and done a bit of driving
with it. *I wasn't doing anything particularly onerous at the time but
I stopped as soon as I saw the smoke. I then tried to run it without
any load - in free air - and it continued to smoke, showing no sign of
stopping, so I stopped and put it away. *I assume there is some
problem now with the motor. *What is the most likely problem and is it
repairable? *Is it something I could do myself and if not would it be
worth getting it repaired? *It is about 7 years old and has had a fair
but not excessive amount of use and is generally in decent nick (other
than this problem of course).

Thanks

Bob

I would open it up and see if any melting is visable and check the
brushes, are the brushes removable from the outside, some models are,
brushes are replaceable but I dont know if they could smoke and they
should last. Or take it in for a repair estimate.