Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rectangulars hole in panel

On 2010-09-04, Mouse wrote:
On 9/4/2010 4:23 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I need to make a total of 44 rectangular holes in some reasonably thin
aluminum. 22 of them have to be .56" x .52"; 22 have to be .81" x .52"

I had assumed I would be able to go down to harbor freight and buy a
rectangular chassis punch; no, the cheap generic punches are all round,
and the only rectangular punches I've seen are special-order for
hundreds of dollars.

The only rectangular ones which used to be available were the
ones for the socket for the Potter & Brumfield 4PDT plug-in relays.

So... any good ideas (or sources of cheap rectangular punches!), or
should I plan on a day or so with my nibbler and a corner punch?

You don't say how far from the edge or what size panel and if the
aluminum is flat, but it wouldn't take too long to cut them out with a
jeweler's saw with a swiveling blade holder if access allowed.

Or -- if you have a die filer, drill out near the border of the
holes. then smooth to scribed lines on the die filer.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564