Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mouse[_4_] Mouse[_4_] is offline

Default rectangulars hole in panel

On 9/4/2010 4:23 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I need to make a total of 44 rectangular holes in some reasonably thin
aluminum. 22 of them have to be .56" x .52"; 22 have to be .81" x .52"

I had assumed I would be able to go down to harbor freight and buy a
rectangular chassis punch; no, the cheap generic punches are all round,
and the only rectangular punches I've seen are special-order for
hundreds of dollars.

So... any good ideas (or sources of cheap rectangular punches!), or
should I plan on a day or so with my nibbler and a corner punch?

You don't say how far from the edge or what size panel and if the
aluminum is flat, but it wouldn't take too long to cut them out with a
jeweler's saw with a swiveling blade holder if access allowed.