Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Making double-prong skewers

"Pete C." wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I have been in the market for double-prong skewers for barbecuing meat.
Double-prong skewers look like a very large hairpin, with both prongs going
through the meat, thus preventing rotation, so when one turns the skewer
full of meat over, everything turns over.

I have a old and ratty set of such skewers, but need more, and perhaps
better.

[snip]
Probably get to use them this week. I'm wondering if 1/8" diameter is too
large. If it is, I'll use 3/32" diameter rod instead.

Joe Gwinn

The folks in the parts of the world where skewering stuff is the norm
use flat metal skewers, around 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick or so.

How big are the critters they are roasting?

I was thinking kabobs: cubes about 2" on a side, and a blade that big could be
hard to use.

That's exactly what I meant, middle-eastern through north-african type
area, kebabs, kofta and the like, all on flat metal skewers.

Although it would certainly be easy to get SS flat strip in 0.5 by 0.0625" or
similar size.

SS would work, most I've seen are just steel, oiled and seasoned like a
griddle.

Here you go: http://kalamala.com/barg-skewers-p-1080.html

and: http://kalamala.com/koubideh-skewers-p-1079.html