Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31991 Ignoramus31991 is offline

Default Making double-prong skewers

On 2010-09-04, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

Great idea. I do not think that 1/8" is too large. Feels about right
to me.

They look pretty robust. We shall soon see it 1/8" is the right size. The
first two skewers are out of the dishwasher.

A question for the welders out the Which SS alloys can be welded or hard
(silver) soldered without destroying the stainless property? I see lots of
advice to re-passivate SS items that have been heated to a red heat, to avoid
subsequent corrosion, but for many things I might make re-passivation would be
pretty awkward, and I don't think all SS alloys require this.

For instance, food service furniture is welded and silver brazed, but is far too
large to be dipped into a tank, and brush passivation is too slow.

Joe Gwinn

Joe, this is bull****.

Do not worry about it. Itwill not rust through. I have a stainless
grill that is 10 years old and has seen a lot. The stainless on it is
stained, but is in perfectshape.