Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Ford NAA tractor...

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 01:12:07 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
From what I've read, the Jubilee / NAA is pretty different hydraulics
wise from an 8N. I know they did away with the three engine style piston
rings and replaced them with O-rings and a leather wiper which is now
replaced with a rubber wiper. Isn't the Jubilee / NAA when the lift
position control and draft control showed up vs. basic manual up/down
control?

You found a hole in my old ford knowledge. My NAA is the backhoe
tractor. While I've had this tractor and used it hard for over twenty
years, I've never once had need for the tractor's hydraulic system.
Sounds like your NAA is the same as the lift assembly on the Ford 860
with the exception of no leather.

I'm glad to see you don't have the 8N lift. Not one of ford's best
designs. But, keep in mind, ford was the first tractor made with a
true three point system.

Karl

The NAA uses the O-rings and wiper like the later 600 and 800 series.
Also has the better draft control.

I wonder if this is true of all NAAs. My machine looks pure 8N on the
back half. no live PTO and the lift assembly sure looks 8N on the
exterior. I'm thinking for my early NAA, Ford just redesigned the
engine to overhead valve and live hydraulics. Then they went to work
on the back half and put in live PTO (I've seen NAAs with this) and
draft control on the lift assembly.

The lift control for the Jubilee / NAA has the position control sector
lever on the right, a lever inside a ~90 degree cage, with an adjustable
position stop that runs in a slot in the cage. The travel of the lever
in the cage represents the travel of the lift and wherever you position
the lever, the lift moves to the matching position. Pretty sophisticated
for a 1953 tractor.

Of course, its also possible that somebody took the better lift
assembly off my tractor and stuck an 8N unit on. After all, its a
backhoe and the only function of the lift assembly is to hold the
tractor seat in place.

I suspect that it's parts swapping in action. A 57 year old work tractor
is likely to have seen a lot of parts changing.

Of course I first saw an NAA just a few weeks ago, and have been reading
everything I can find on them (Yesterday's Tractor, N Club, etc.).