Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Score Card

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

The lobbyists are the experts on proposed legislation. Even a
congressman with a huge staff cannot be expected to know all the
ramifications of pending legislation. Do you really want a
congress-critter to determine the railroad tariff on hydrogenated
yak-fat with no input from the yak industry?

Do you want our country to suffer a yak-fat gap?

As for money, actually not enough is spent on campaigning. Between
Obama and McCain, roughly $1 billion was raised and spent in support
of their candidacies.

Annual sales of POTATO CHIPS is more than six times that figure!

The Supreme Court has ruled (and I agree) that money equals speech.
Attempts to curtail campaign funding is simultaneously an attempt to
curtail political speech.

George Will proposed three simple rules for campaign financing:
* No cash
* No foreign contributions
* Instant disclosure

I agree with the last 3 lines, and that lobbyists are experts on the
proposed legislation. However, the essential word left out there is the
word self-serving. The lobbyists are NOT being paid to serve the coomon
good, but need to satisfy their bosses, or else ...

I don't know how to get out of the conundrum either.

--
Best regards
Han