Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cute small hobbyist mill (K&T #4) $1900

On 2010-09-03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus24760 wrote:
Scrap value as brought into a scrap yard, is $1400.

The convent that Habitat is converting in Lawrence MA had a huge amount
of cast iron radiators, as well as a huge cast iron boiler. The scrap
dealer is giving them 30-some cents a pound. For cast iron, steel is
WAY less.

If that's the case in Milwaukee, then breaking down this mill to
separate the cast iron could be profitable. Say 90% of it is ci, then
90% x 14000 x .33(say) = $4158.

Thinking that that cast iron price is not normal,
Bob

Someone told me that scrap yards pay 100-200 dollars per ton.

When I've seen them at auctions, they won't pay more than a few hundred for
a mill, and if it's too big or unwieldy to disassemble or move, they don't
even bid.

There is a foundry near here that buys any large castings it can
find, to make equipment for the mining industry.

enough left over to pay them.