Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.

Kurt Ullman wrote the following:
In article ,
willshak wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote the following:

In article ,
willshak wrote:

Don't use True Value and Ace Hardware stores as examples of 'local
businesses". They are both franchise stores, doncha know?
Maybe local people 'owned' them and they employed local residents, so do
the HD and Lowes stores, and they employ more people than those small
franchise stores.

Gee, HD and Lowes locally owned. Who knew?

The word 'owned' was meant to include managers.

Not usually, that is what confused me. Managers are usually
employees, drones like the rest of them at HD and Lowes. Also, are TV
and Ace franchises? I thought they were like HWI (now the Do-It Centers)
and were purchasing co-operatives.

Google - "Ace Hardware franchise" or "True Value franchise".
Franchises are wholly dependent on the franchise provider for their
goods. They can't buy from other providers.
I knew someone who once 'owned', or 'managed', if you will, a Carvel Ice
cream store. They were not even allowed to buy their milk from other
than the Carvel company. If they ran out of Carvel milk, they wouldn't
be allowed to get it from the local grocery store, they would have to
close down until they received a Carvel delivery.
Every sale that Carvel advertised in the media had to be adhered to in
the local franchises, at the expense of those franchise owners.
Yeah, Tom was a real f**k.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY