Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Some updates on "speed and feed" and the mill chattering

In article ,

On 2010-08-26, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus29468 wrote:

One is a very highly embarrassing confession. Along the lines of
Gunner's own trailer tire passing him by at the red light.

The mill, as I mentioned, was chattering under what I considered to be
moderate cuts. I wondered how come it was chattering.

Now I know why: The head is attached to the rigid ram by means of four
socket head cap screws. And when installing the head, in general
excitement, I forgot to tighten them. So the head moved somewhat under
loads in X direction. Very embarrassing and humbling.

With that fixed, the mill is no longer chattering.

I have one more weirdness: under heavier cuts, the mill triggers a
limit switch error for a reason that I cannot understand. But if I do
not push it quite as hard, it does not do so. I tend to think that it
is something related to the hardware of limit switches and maybe some
vibrations.

Odd. Worn out switch that teeters on the edge of tripping? RFI/EMI from
the VFD leads to the spindle motor too close to the limit switch leads
and the interference gets stronger as you put some load on the motor?
Limit switch connection somewhere vibrating loose?

I have a sealed "RF filter". Would it make sense to connect it to the
power input of the VFD? Just for cleaner operation.

Depends on just what this "RF Filter" is. Any more info available?

Joe Gwinn