Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.

On Sep 3, 12:20*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
BobR wrote:

I have spent a lot of time recently at several Home Depot stores in
the area and my experience has been very similar to yours. *It seems
that the moment I walk in the door they are like a swarm of ants,
crawling all over me. *While I appreciate the service I am very
concerned that it stems from a fear that each of them have over
loosing their job and they are trying to make sure they are not the
next on the chopping block. *From what I could see, their fears my
very well be justified by the small number of customers compared to
employees at any given time. *I sometimes take my lunch hour to pickup
supplies from a Home Depot near my office, other times I stop at one
on the way home and on weekends alternate between two Home Depot
stores almost equal distance from my house. *I frequent a fifth store
next door to the nearest Rockler woodworkers store. *All of the stores
seem to be in the same situation, more employees than customers at any
given time and that includes during the week and on weekends.

On the opposite end of the scale, the local Lowes's stores seem to
operate at times without any employees and getting help with anything
can seem almost impossible. *They didn't have any more customers than
the Home Depot stores with very few employees and those employees
didn't seem to care if they helped you or not...if you could find one.

lol, "swarm of ants" describes exactly what happens sometimes. *Personally,
I am of the opinion that customers should be left to their own devices
unless and until they actually ask for help. *Tidy the shelves, look busy,
but stay out of people's business unless they need you.

This was the way a trip to the hardware store has always been, and while I
do realize that bored housewives/househusbands might appreciate the
handholding, it shouldn't be all that hard to train the help to recognize
the difference.

Jon- Hide quoted text -

What I love is the place that mobs you at the door when you come in
but can't be found anywhere when you really need something.