Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Hugh Jassolle Hugh Jassolle is offline

Default Weird stuff -- update -- (was Electronic Kenmore refrigeratornot working, what does this sign mean)

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 08:45:03 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:03:20 -0500, Ignoramus28169
wrote:

Things are getting weirder and weirder. My original post is at the
bottom.

I have received the replacement relay and capacitor today.

Installed them (it was a 2 minute job).

Plugged in the fridge.

The compressor happily started working normally, mildly vibrating and
indicating in all respects that it is running fine.

Happy after 2 minutes, I turned off the fridge, and reinstalled the rear
insulated covering panel and ground.

Plugged in again and I HEARD THE SAME OLD DREADED BUZZING SOUND. Now,
the compressor motor would not start again! It busses fomr several
seconds and the relay clicks and turns it off.

I am completely puzzled as to why exactly it turned on once, but would
not turn on again.

Any idea?

hell, my fridge has done that for years... (Really, it has).

The reason is 'high head pressure' and you have to let it sit for as
much as 20 to 30 minutes (typically, but can be longer) between startup
cycles.

Shouldn't take 20 minutes for the head pressure to bleed off enough for a
restart. Unless of course there is a partial restriction in the high
side. If the system has moisture in the freon the end of the cap tube can
ice up causing a restriction. Or some contaminates could plug the cap
tube partially. Normally the head pressure should reduce sufficiently to
allow a proper working compressor to restart in 5 minutes or less.