Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Working Aluminum Without Lube / Coolant (HSS)

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 3:51 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Typically, I tell people who *need* to drill aluminum dry to run at about
70% of the RPm shown on my charts
(http://www.multi-drill.com/drill-speed-chart.htm).

Thanks.

Does the point style affect the thrust much?

Good question. It does on larger holes - sorta... I challenge anyone to
start a 3/4" diameter drill in a flat plate of steel without split point
tooling and a smaller drill press.

I can't answer whether it changes the process as the drill moves through the
material as we use more thrust and a HydroSpeed feed control on our units to
keep teh feed rate stable. It's like drilling with a CNC that can generate
5,000 lbs. thrust... It can drill a 1/8" hole no problem, but there is
something holding back all that potential.

Imagine this... My drill can create 1000 # of thrust but I set it so that
it can not move forward more than 0.004" per rotation. Thus, I can drill a
1/4" hole in soft plastic with my drill running full tilt thrust... ...Or I
can turn it down to around 100# of thrust and stop abusing the HydroSpeed.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R