Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Old antenna for new tv

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:40:18 -0400, Tony
wrote:

On 9/2/2010 12:46 PM, mm wrote:
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 05:44:52 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Baltimore or Washington.

I'm in the same area and in the same boat and live in the shadow of a hill
that obscures the line of sight with the big TV antenna complex near the
Sears near Tenleytown. The problem I had with the rotor is that my DVR has
no way to rotate the aerial to the proper direction for the channel I want

They never do, do they?

to record. Since I have two DVRs, I ended up putting two antennas in the
attic: one optimized for DC and the other for Baltimore. I segregate my
recording based on that. Stations coming from Baltimore go to DVR one,
stations from Washington, DVR two.

Very clever. I haven't tried this yet but someone on
sci.electronics;.repair said one could use a splitter (combiner, same
thing) to connect both antennas together, implying that there would be
no problem interactino. No one contradicted him but I never asked
further. I figured I would try it, so there wasn't much point to
discussing it. But I havent' got the omni-directional antenna yet.
Still, I do have that 6 or 8 foot wire.

That works fine. On the same pole I think they should be at least 5
foot apart vertically. Also the wires coming to the splitter from the
antennas should be the same length.

Thanks. They're not going to be on a pole but in the attic, which is
about 7 feet high in the center and 6 inches high at front and back
edge.

Any advice about placement in that case??

I figured the big one meant to get DC stations south of here would be
south of the omnidirectional, meant to get stations east and if I'm
lucky north of here. Is 5 or 10 feet between them enough?

I figured I'd hang the antennas from the rafters and have room to put
light-weight boxes underneath.