Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default New Homeowner Woes - But they get a new kitchen!

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:86aeb33e-c301-4712-903a-
:

A young couple recently bought the house across the street from me.
It's a 1940-ish colonial.

They moved back from another state and were living with Mom while they
did some work on the house. They removed some old (cheap) built-ins,
they painted, they carpeted, etc.

One thing they hired out was the replacement of the upstairs bathroom
floor. This is a significant part of this story.

The kitchen had old but serviceable cabinets, so they were going to
live with them for a while. This is also significant.

We went away on vacation for a week and when we got back we were
surprised that they hadn't moved in yet. They had told me that they
were going to move in during the week we were gone, but instead there
was dumpster in the yard (wasn't there the week before) and the house
looked as empty as when we left. Curious, we thought.

Well, I saw the wife the next day. It turns out that she left the
house at about 2 PM on the day we left and came back around noon the
next day. As she pulled in the driveway she wondered "Why are the back
steps so wet? Did someone leave a hose running?"

When she got out of the car she saw the water running from under the
back door next to the kitchen.

According to how she explained it, the guy who did the bathroom floor
left a nut loose on the toilet and it let go sometime after she left
the day before.

The bathroom was above the kitchen and water was pouring down through
the ceiling, out of the cabinets, out from around the windows, etc.
The kitchen needs to be gutted, the dining room walls and ceiling will
be replaced, etc. The new floor in the bathroom was ruined as was some
of the hardwood in the hallway.

"Luckily" it's an unfinished basement, so all they had to do (for now)
was have the fire department pump the water out and get the fans
running.

They said their insurance company will cover the repairs, but they
(the ins co) are going after the flooring contractor for
reimbursement.

Meanwhile, it's back to Mom's basement for a while longer.

I think I beter go check my nuts.

Just finished redoing a bathroom today.