Posted to alt.home.repair
Ohioguy Ohioguy is offline

Default Old antenna for new tv

Here're my three cents - until you read a review of that antenna
where someone puts it through its paces against a better known model,
and shows that it does a good job, you should probably avoid it.

Here's a place that has been in business quite a while, and provides
good customer support. They also put up a decent amount of technical
info about most of their antennas, and have fair shipping prices. I
bought a Winegard 9095 ($69 plus ship) from them a while back, and was
able to pull in stations from Cincinnati and Columbus here in Dayton, as
well as a few from Indiana. Pretty cool pulling in twenty some
stations. That was with an amplifier, though, and a lot depends on your
tuner. I was getting about 8 fewer stations with another digital tuner.

specs:
http://www.starkelectronic.com/wca9095.htm
(averages about 15db gain up to channel 50, then down to about 12db

BTW, the Channel Master 4251 parabolic antenna is widely viewed as
the best UHF antenna ever made. They sold for between $150-$200 new,
and were discontinued in 2001. Some info:

http://www.rocketroberts.com/cm4251/cm4251.htm

I'm suspicious of the stats for the "new", 35 dB is very high. Built

in preamp?

I agree - those numbers seem so high that I'm guessing it is just
"technospeak" to reel people in, and not realistic. What you need is a
graph showing the actual dB gain at various channels. Good
manufacturers make those available, so that people can see the actual
gain and decide if an antenna is right for them.

Regarding not being able to get a TV station from 150 miles away - it
really depends. I live near Dayton, Ohio. While a few years back I had
my antenna mounted up above the roof, for the past year or so I had it
mounted off the lattice on our front porch. Yes, it was about 10' off
the ground. I was able to occasionally pull in stations 50 miles away.
One day, in the middle of the night, I was getting in a station from
Louisville, Ky. That's right about 150 miles, and it was crystal clear.
When I was a kid living near Lima, OH, my dad could use the antenna
rotor and pull in a station from Toronto a lot of nights.