Posted to alt.home.repair
TN TN is offline

Default Toilet Flushing Mystery

On Sep 2, 5:55*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"TN" wrote in message

I've got 3 of the same toilets installed in the house I built in
2005. *One toilet has me totally freaked out. *It doesn't flush
properly and has gotten somewhat worse over time. *I can hold the
flush handle down and the flapper opens just fine. *The tank is filled
with water and it empties at rate similar to the other toilets. *The
bowl just fills up with water the whirlpool starts but it acts as if
it is slightly plugged. *It flushes a little and the waste eventually
goes down, but never the normal "empty the bowl" flushes I see in the
other toilets. *I've plunged it before so I know there is no clog.

What happens when you empty a bucket of water in the bowl? *Does it flush
normally or do the same sort of thing? *If it flushes normally, I suspect
there's no obstruction, but instead that something's impeding the water
flow. If the flushing water from the tank enters the bowl too slowly, it
will not flush.

I use a 1 gallon milk jug that's had a big hole cut into the top as a
tester. *If you slowly add the water from the jug, the toilet will not
flush. *You have to add the water quickly to displace enough water in the
bowl to start the siphon action going full force. *I use the jug flush to
empty the toilet bowl of water for easy cleaning but it's also a great test
for drainage obstructions. *It's also great for people who don't like
"splash backs" on their butts. *(-: *There's nothing worse than getting a
jet of dirty water shot straight up your output port. *Well, I suppose there
ARE worse things . . .

If your toilet passes the jug flush test, then I would suspect something is
clogged and not allowing the tank water to enter the bowl fast enough to
generate a solid flush.

--
Bobby G.

I tried that and it flushes normally. I am not sure I understand, are
you saying the incoming water to the bowl is too slow or there is a
clog down the drain? The incoming water seems to be as fast as the
other 2 toilets, but I could be wrong.