Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Deep drilling aluminum

I have Kroil soaking on the brake drum screws and we'll see about
pulling and inspecting those eventually, though they do seem to be
working ok. Some bent lift links will spend some time in my press for
some straightening. Overall the tractor seems to be in fairly decent
shape.

If you get those screws out without drilling, let me know. I've had to
use the left hand drill bit on the last six tractors.

The next weak point on this tractor is the rear axles. jack the rear
up and try to wobble the wheels side to side, most likely you'll have
a lot of play. There's a taper spline to replace. if not too bad, just
the spline on the hub, otherwise, the axle too (painful $)

If you want, a company called genesee products makes an electronic
points replacement that fits right in the distributor. I've left my
tractor sit over a month and tried it at -30. Starts in a second. of
course, that includes a change over to 12 volt GM alternator system
too.

Karl