Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Toilet Flushing Mystery

On Sep 1, 5:45*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:22:38 -0700 (PDT), TN wrote
Re Toilet Flushing Mystery:

I've got 3 of the same toilets installed in the house I built in
2005. *One toilet has me totally freaked out. *It doesn't flush
properly and has gotten somewhat worse over time. *I can hold the
flush handle down and the flapper opens just fine. *The tank is filled
with water and it empties at rate similar to the other toilets. *The
bowl just fills up with water the whirlpool starts but it acts as if
it is slightly plugged. *It flushes a little and the waste eventually
goes down, but never the normal "empty the bowl" flushes I see in the
other toilets. *I've plunged it before so I know there is no clog.

Does anyone have some advice on how to debug this? *My instinct says
the bowl was just casted defective. *I can't imaging its a larger plug
somewhere else because all the other drains in the bathroom work fine.

Thanks!

I had something like this happen to me once. *It drove me crazy until
I pulled the toiled and found that a piece of dental floss that
someone had tried to flush had gotten hung up across the bowl
discharge where it mates with the floor flange. *Liquids would flush
without a problem, but solids would be impeded by the floss and
prevent a good flush.

"a piece of dental floss that someone had tried to flush had
gotten hung up across the bowl discharge

"a small makeup case got trapped in bowl loop."

In my case it was the cardboard roll from the toilet paper. (darn
kids!)

It was stuck vertically allowing liquids to pass but catching solids.