Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Deep drilling aluminum

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:00:35 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Say, I'll mention the Achilles' heel on that machine. its the Sherman
set up/step down tranny. There is no way to add oil to this tranny
located under the steering column. It runs dry and the front bearing
and main tranny shaft burn out. No more parts available from Ford.
Long wait at any salvage yard for a replacement tranny priced at $500
(eight years ago)

Luckily, I knew a machinist with three days to spare after mine burned
up and locked the tractor wheels solid.

If you have yours apart give this unit some long overdue attention.

Karl

No Sherman over/under on this unit. I'm not positive on the live PTO,
the Jubilee / NAA has live hydraulics, and there was some aftermarket
kit for live PTO. It's reported that this unit may have that
modification, but I'm not far enough in to be sure. I got it running the
other day, next on the agenda is to go through the hydraulics and see
what may need to be done there.

Let me know if you have ny questions. I know these old Ford tractors
well enough to lay all the right wrenches out in the order I'll need
them on any repair.

One thought on that Sherman trans issue - Since the Jubilee / NAA has
live hydraulics, perhaps you can plumb a line to supply lube to the add
on trans and of course a larger drain line back to the sump. I'd use the
UTF fluid for this of course vs. straight hydraulic fluid.

That's a real good thought.

Karl