Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Millrite MVI spindle bearing repair - Second report

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:40:42 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

On Sep 1, 8:51?am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
This is a followup to "Millrite MVI spindle bearing repair - first
report" posted on 16 August 2010.

The Millrite is back together, and was improved by the experience,
although the runout is unchanged.

[snip]

Anyway, when I have an adequate way to measure spindle runout, I will
simply try different outer race orientations and keep the best, as
removing and replacing the spindle with bearings is actually fairly easy.

[snip]

Joe Gwinn

For testing chucks, I've always used selected dowel pins, 1/4" ones
are fairly easy to come by if not really, really long. May not be
good enough if you're trying to reduce runout to fractions of tenths.

Yes, I've done that too, but using drill blanks.

But, now we are trying to measure the spindle runout, not chuck runout.

Joe Gwinn

Not familiar with this machine but assuming it's an Int 40 taper
or similar can you not clock the inside of the taper. One set of
measurements close to the spindle nose should show eccentricity
and out of round. A second carefully centred set further up the
bore should show up residual tilt.

I did consider using the inside taper, but it's R8, so there really isn't enough
space for a dial test indicator to reach the back cylinder and still be able to
see the dial. Unless one can get a really long-armed unit, which isn't
impossible.

It's a bit fiddly even with a small sensitive lever type clock.
I use a home brew capacitative sensor which has the business end
on the side at the end of a short length of 1/4" tubing.

Capacitative sensor. Now there's a thought. I certainly can easily build such
a thing, especially the diode-bridge kind with guard ring, and it would have the
advantage of ignoring the surface roughness and dings of an old and well-used
spindle.

Joe Gwinn