Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Yikes, blown the suppy company neutral fuse ...

On 2 Sep, 09:14, "Jerry" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On 1 Sep, 21:28, "alexander.keys1"
wrote:

snip
: Ring circuits and fused plugs were introduced in the UK
: to save copper etc. in the post-WW2 rebuilding programme,
: they have a number of disadvantages.

: Which are?

I take it that you have never come across the bolt being used as
a 'fusible' link within the a Bullshi... sorry BS1363 plug that
is feeding a device that draws 3amp via a similar rated length
of flex.

I take it that you have never come across the situation were an
faulty appliance fails to blow the fusible wire within the
Bull****... sorry BS1363 plug but trips out the much more
sensitive CB on the panel, taking out all other devices connected
to that circuit (which in a house can be the entire power
circuit.

The ONLY two advantage of ring circuits is installation cost and
smaller size of fuse/CB panel.
--
Regards, Jerry.

No I haven't. I 've been an electrician/electrical engineer for forty
years. Including a spell repairing domestic appliances.
I have seen aluminium foil wrapped round a fuse. I have seen the 13a
fuse left in the plug when it should have been replaced with a smaller
one. But it only takes us back to what they have in America or the
continent.

It takes a lot of effort to create a solid metal replacement for a
fuse. Easier to get a fuse.