Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is there any difference between cheap imported carbide endmills and USA made ones

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:58:55 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:16:28 -0500, Ignoramus4117
wrote:

So, if we compare a cheap imported carbide endmill vs. an expensive
domestic endmill. Is there some identifiable difference between their
performance?

There is a world of difference in carbide. Shop eBay for brand name
stuff. For regular end mills Hanita is my favorite. Many other made in
USA brands

For really removing metal FAST, get Sandvik R390 replaceable inserts.
Makes steel cut like AL. It calls for no coolant - all the heat goes
in the chip. STAND back cause you get a shower of dark blue chips.
I've got a 1 1/2 inch unit I run at 2000 RPM 15IPM and .200 DOC and
these really are too conservative a numbers.

"The Kid" says every shop in the country must have people stealing
cutters and selling on eBay. The deals on top end stuff is
unbelievable.

Karl

A lot of it is because the shops that used to buy/own this stuff..are
now empty buildings and there is a serious glut of tooling that cant be
sold for what it used to get.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)