Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Is there any difference between cheap imported carbide endmills and USA made ones

In article ,

On 2010-09-01, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4117 wrote:

So, if we compare a cheap imported carbide endmill vs. an expensive
domestic endmill. Is there some identifiable difference between their
performance?

Forget carbide. You don't have the spindle speed or axis feeds to
benefit from them, and they are a *lot* easier to chip or break than HSS
endmills.

Pete, I always had bad luck with HSS. But, perhaps, it was because I
did something wrong or they were dull. Anyway, I am willing to give it
another try under ideal conditions. So, would you recommend one
particular HSS drill bit (say 3/8), I will buy that one and will give it an
honest try, at the exat recommended speeds and feeds.

I run carbide on the Clausing 5914 and the Millrite MVI, and it works just fine.
These machines are big enough to handle carbide. I also use HSS, and that too
works just fine. But carbide is far more brittle than HSS, and so is more
vulnerable to accident or misuse.

Chinese carbide and HSS are not as good as western carbide and HSS, but I have
been using Taiwan-made carbide-tipped boring bars with great success.

Joe Gwinn