Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

On 8/26/2010 10:34 AM, wrote:

Oxidized connections at the connectors account for a very large
percentage of computer repairs, too. R&R connector, computer starts
working.

Used to be REAL common with socketed DIP RAM and DIP socketed
processors. Remember when virtual;ly every chip on a motherboard was
plugged into a socket????

About 20 years ago, I was ready to install a new mamaboard in a flaky
4.77mHz PC clone. I was intending to transfer the socketed RAM. As I got
my face down into it, I suddenly realized every chip on the board was
socketed, not just the RAM and 8088. I pressed all the chips fully back
into each socket and the flakiness disappeared.

My experience is over half the time when someone calls me to look at
equipment that is malfunctioning, it starts to work as soon as I get
within about 50 yards.

This is called Tech Effect. I once put my fingers on a hard drive to see
if it was humming from spinning as I turned on the 'puter. This had the
effect of Laying On Of Hands and LO! the drive returned to life.

Can I hear a Hallelujah, brethren!?!

David