Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default Rider mower needs safety switch

On Sep 1, 8:53*am, wrote:
I have never liked the safety switches often found on rider-mowers. In
fact, in the past I have disconnected them as a nuisance.

I bought a used rider this summer, and wouldn't you know - I was
knocked backwards over the seat back onto the ground by a low tree
limb. *I wasn't hurt too *badly, but the damned mower kept on going
across the street and across my loving neighbor's yard until it hit
one of his bushes. *No damage was done except to my ego.

With my new insight, I have checked and find no sign of any cut-off
switch under the seat. *I expected to find one - disconnected or
otherwise not working. *Okay, what would be the easiest way for me to
create and install such a switch? *Can someone reply with some advice
and particulars?

Thanks

Duke

PS the limb has been removed.

Each mower is different. Somes seats have a tab that open/closes the
kill switch (depending on how it is setup). The switch may no be
visible except from underneath.

If you still don't fine it and want to add a new one, there are many
ways to do it. Some good suggestions were posted here already, but
other ones are available too.

Usually the engine has a magnteo on the flywheel (not the cam shaft
becasue the camshaft only turns at half the speed of the crank). when
the magnet onthe flywheel passing the coil, it creates a spark at the
right time. There is one wire running from your coil which is used to
ground out the coil and not let it fire, thereby killing the engine.
By tapping into this wire, you can rig up a kill switch to ground out
the coil/Magneto

Hank.

Hank