Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Archon Archon is offline

Default Yet another bulging-capacitors replacement

On 9/1/2010 5:15 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:55:34 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? wrote in message
m... ?
? Arfa Daily wrote:
??
?? Well Jim, that was why I used the word "potentially", but judging by
the ?? size of the pins used to couple the power supply's output into
the ?? board -
?? if you've been following the thread, you will recall that I
previously ?? described them as being of the size you would find on the
line cord for a ?? kettle - then I wouldn't say that there was too much
in the way of ?? reserve.
?
? "The size you would find on the line cord for a kettle" doesn't have
? much meaning in the US.

Why is that ? You have electric kettles in your kitchens - I've used
them.

I've never seen one. Even Coffee pots are rare these days.

Or don't you call them kettles ?. OK, anyway, if it's a better
description, the size of the round ground pin on a line cord that has a
three pin plug. Is that more meaningful ? 3/16" diameter maybe ? 4mm ?

3/16" is between AWG 5& AWG 4. 4 mm is between AWG 7& AWG 6. How
much current do those kettles draw?

Half what a US kettle would draw?

A good British 240Vac kettle will take 3KW, yes 3KW. No waiting 10
minutes for the lousy thing to boil.

JC