Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deep drilling aluminum

On Sep 1, 5:25*pm, Ignoramus4117
wrote:

But them, I would have long stringy chips hanging on the drill bit,
beating up loc-lines?

I do not have any cnc machines. But drilling aluminum on a regular
drill press, I feed pretty hard and get a stringy chip coming out.
When it get as long as I care to have it, I just hesitate on the feed
for an instant. This causes the chip to break, and then I feed hard
again so the new chip pushes the old chip out of the hole.

So you might try not actually pulling the bit out of the hole. Just
stop feeding for about one revolution and then start feeding again.

On steel that does not make stringy chips, I peck and pull the bit out
of the work so the chips get out of the hole.

Dan