Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Yikes, blown the suppy company neutral fuse ...

On 1 Sep, 22:09, harry wrote:
On 1 Sep, 09:44, Adrian C wrote:

On 01/09/2010 07:17, harry wrote:

I think this post is a load of ********. *There hasn't been fuses in
neutrals since the days of DC (ie 1930s). I used to work for the
electricity board. * Someone would have removed equipment like that
when the meter/supply cable was replaced years ago. No electrician who
sees such a thing is going to fail to report it.

Well, this house was built in 1932, and rewired in 1970.

Fuses are dead centre of this pic - so these would have been 1930s DC fuses?

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...rthestairs.jpg

Not suprised, I have here this GPO relic my ADSL passes through ...

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

Electicity company peeps due today, and for interest will be snapping
the replacements they fit.

--
Adrian C

That is 1930's gear. *They must be damned ingompetent to leave such
stuff about. *The last time *saw equipment like that was in the early
60's and that was overlooked from 30 years before that. *I wonder who
fitted that new meter? *The incoming cable looks fairly dodgy too.- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes there were AC sytems where there was a centre tap to the
transformer winding so both poles were live to earth, ergo both poles
were fused. There was no neutral. Similar to 110volt tool
transformers today.