Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus4117 Ignoramus4117 is offline

Default Deep drilling aluminum

On 2010-09-01, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:48:02 -0500, Ignoramus4117
wrote:

I was making something on the CNC mill last night. It is a little
block that I would clamp to the quill of the mill, so that I would
attach the Loc-Line coolant line to the quill. That way the coolant
would follow the cutting tool as the quill is raised or lowered.

Anyway, as part of that, I had to drill a deep hole (comparatively). I
used a peck drilling cycle and it worked, but took way too long, with
withdrawal of the tool and lowering it down, etc.

So I wanted to double check what is the recommended procedure for deep
drilling aluminum.

My feeling is that at the given RPM of 2400, I should have used a much
more aggressive feed rate than I used.

nobody giving you numbers. I'd go 8 IPM and peck of .125 (1/2 D) if
its a 1/4" drill. But I got dials to quickly change feed and speed, no
doubt an adjust would be in order on part one. Don't consider me the
definitive expert on speeds and feeds - I do it all by feel.

Karl, I mostly do it by feel too. I will get a piece of junk tonight
and will practice somewhat if I have time. Thanks for the suggestion.