Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deep drilling aluminum

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:48:02 -0500, Ignoramus4117
wrote:

I was making something on the CNC mill last night. It is a little
block that I would clamp to the quill of the mill, so that I would
attach the Loc-Line coolant line to the quill. That way the coolant
would follow the cutting tool as the quill is raised or lowered.

Anyway, as part of that, I had to drill a deep hole (comparatively). I
used a peck drilling cycle and it worked, but took way too long, with
withdrawal of the tool and lowering it down, etc.

So I wanted to double check what is the recommended procedure for deep
drilling aluminum.

My feeling is that at the given RPM of 2400, I should have used a much
more aggressive feed rate than I used.

From the OmniTurn users guide...

G83 Zn Kn Fn Rn Ln Cn

In G90, absolute mode: Z specifies the end of the point of the hole
from the part Zero.
In G91, incremental mode: Z specifies the distance the tool will travel
from the starting point .

Start location: Position the drill where you want the first drill peck
to start. After the first peck the
drill will rapid out to the R location, and then back to where it
started less the C value.

K specifies the depth of cut per peck.
F is the drilling feedrate in inches per rev or minute depending on
whether you are in G94 or G95.
R is the retraction plane, the tool will rapid back to this location at
the end of each peck. Default
is the starting point of the cycle
L is the rapid travel feed rate for the retraction move, noted in IPM.
Default is 200ipm
C is the clearance distance left when the drill returns to the cut.
Default is .02”

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)